Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pope Francis always wins...

Ciao friends, 

Wowzers... a lot has been going on since the last time I posted about 10 days ago... 
This will be one one of the last posts I will write...sad it coming to an end, but this girl is going home in 1 1/2 weeks and I couldn't be more ready or excited (as much as I LOVE Rome, it's time to go home and be with family and of course celebrate CHRISTMAS!!)

BEFORE THEN, THOUGH... I still have a few great stories and pictures to share! 

Though time is very limited, and I have more things to do than I have time, I am still finding things/places to do and see that make my soul happy. This past weekend, we had a 4 day weekend! Who doesn't love those!!! A friend and I went up to the Cupola of St. Peter's because I promised her I would go up with her, which I was happy to do, as I love being up there- it was my third time going up, and this time kicked my butt. I think I consumed too many carbs last week. It was a struggle. But I made it....  


After that, we got Gelato (of course...) and went to Piazza Navona to see the Christmas market they have up. A lot of fun Christmas things going on around here....It's great! This is procrastination at it's finest......


THEN..... I found out that Pope Francis was going to be in Piazza di Spagna on Monday for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. So I went of course. Write a paper or go see Pope Francis???? Pope Francis won. And I am glad he won because I kinda got this close to him that day.....Ah. It was amazing, as always. I left there with a huge smile on my face and a bit more motivation to do work. He is a good person to see to start off the week. 

IT GETS BETTER...LIKE A LOT BETTER..AND IT HAS TO DO WITH POPE FRANCIS. YOU READY FOR IT??? YOU MIGHT WANT TO SIT DOWN FOR THIS....
I WENT INTO THE PAPAL RESIDENCE TODAY!
To explain how this came to be...I was chatting away with one of my priest friends when he looks up and sees two of his Capuchin friends. We get up and say hi, and I thought that would be the end of it. Not even close. Boy, were we in for a suprise! We took a picture with the Cardinal and then asked what he was headed to. He said, "I have a meeting with the Holy Father in 20 minutes". I am thinking to myself, "No big deal or anything...casual meeting with the Pope". Now, this Cardinal is a special Cardinal for many reasons, but I will just say the 2 main ones: If Pope Francis was not chosen as Pope, this Cardinal most likely would have become Pope. Again, "No big deal or anything....I am just standing with a very holy man that the Church recognizes as someone who is qualified to be Pope." Then my priest friend asks one of the best questions that was like music to my ears, "Umm... so.... could we maybe come with you to see the Papal Residence and the chapel inside...? There was silence for a second. He responded, "I mean, sure, why not? Do you have the time?" In my mind: Ha! Do I have time time? Who are we kidding here? No, I have 2 papers to write and 3 finals to study for. BUT, will I make time? Absolutely, positively YES. I responded to him, "Yes, I have nothing to do right now, lets go"! We get there and he says, "Welcome to the Papal Residence". In my mind: "Wait, so you're telling me that the Pope lives here, and is here right now, and I am about to go inside? So.....AM I GOING TO MEET THE POPE!!!???" We went into the chapel that Pope Francis celebrates Mass every day. And to the the room where he eats his meals.  We asked where His Holiness was and he responded, "he is right above us, one floor up". Again in my mind: "Um... So... could I maybe go upstairs???" Unfortunately, we did not meet Pope Francis. I know... it's a bummer. BUT, I GOT TO GO INTO WHERE HE LIVES, WHICH IS AWESOME! And then we went in the back door of St. Peter's Basilica and everyone looked at me in a funny way as if they were saying, "Who are you to be with 3 priests, and coming through a blocked off area with guards that we all desperately want to know where it leads??" I felt pretty dang important at that moment!  IT IS GREAT KNOWING PEOPLE IN HIGH PLACES.....A blessing I sure as heck was not expecting when I woke up this morning. Thanks God! 
Then I came home and did that HOMEWORK I have... I kinda hoped it would get itself done and wouldn't be there when I got home.... HAPPY FINALS TIME! LESS THAN A WEEK AND I WILL BE FINISHED WITH THE SEMESTER! Then time to pack and get ready for my long journey home. I'll post again in a week from now. Until then, have a great week/weekend.  

PLEASE PRAY FOR ME. 
PACE E BENE! :)

Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment