Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Francis filled weekend!

Ciao Friends!!

It's good to be reconnected again! Sorry for my lack of posts recently- I have been swamped with midterms and studying! I am now finished with them all and now am a free soul! Thank God!! It was brutal.

So I will start with Assisi-where I went last Saturday for the day. We took the train there which took about 2 hours, and it was a great ride. The reason why the ride was so great was because we had the Seminarians with us for the day. We laughed and had a great time. Once there, we toured around a bit, seeing Francis' favorite chapel an place to pray. Then up to the town of Assisi we went. That was about a 15 minute ride up the mountain. There, we enjoyed the Basilica of St. Francis on our own. It was beautiful to say at the least. The view from outside was spectacular!!!

Then lunchtime! The Seminarians had been there before, so they knew a really good pizza spot. So we all tagged along with them. I kid you not, the best pizza I have had in Italy, thus far. It was delicious!
Then we made our way down this huge mountain to a church of St. Clare. All the way down, what was going through  our minds was, "I really don't want to have to walk back up this". It was so steep that we were almost running down it. I almost slipped a few times... but I caught myself somehow. Again, it was a beautiful church. Now, there were two trains heading back to Rome- one at 4 and one at 6. So a group of us decided wanted to stay a little bit longer, so we did and had a great time. It was so hot there, so we got a slushy type drink, which was delicious! It was kind of like a frozen lemonade. So good!
After getting a few souvenirs, we headed to the train. The ride home was less than pleasant. We all couldn't wait to get off and into out cozy bed! The windows in the car were bolted shut expect for one, so there was barely any air ventilation. We tried to sleep, but it didn't go so well... Then right before we got to our stop, two police officers came into our car and asked for passports. WHAT?!? Thankfully, I had a copy of mine while many of my friends just had their state ID. A very random check...that doesn't happen all that often...But we went with it and gave them what they asked for like good Americans do... Weird. This just made u want to get home all the more. A long day to say at the least, but a great one! Here are some pics!





As for Sunday, I attended the Beatification Mass for Pope Paul VI. That was beautiful as well. Long story short (because I don't have the energy at the moment): Pope Francis drove past my friend and I twice! Here are some pics! You know, just going to my local parish (st. Peter's Basilica) for Sunday Mass and seeing my local pastor after Mass (Pope Francis)... no big deal or anything :) 






So... I am going on Fall break on Friday for 10 days!!!! A VERY MUCH NEEDED BREAK FROM SCHOOL WORK. I am going to Dublin first...I am Irish... so I am super excited to get to Ireland in general! Though I do not like beer, I will make an exception- I can't wait to say that I have had a Guinness in Dublin, Ireland.  I will let you know what I think! :)
Hopefully I will be able to update as much as possible.  Please keep my friend and I in your prayers for safe travels! 
Peace and Blessings!
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment