Monday, September 15, 2014

A Whirlwind Weekend!

Ciao!

Wow, I can't believe I last posted on Friday! The weekend escaped me and now its Tuesday! Ahh time is flying by way too fast! So much Roma...so little time'a! (Lizzy Miguire: Gordo reference)...be prepared to read! :)

To begin, Friday night at the NAC with the Seminarians was amazing! We had a great 'American' meal consisting of chicken, mashed potatoes and salad-wine and water (WITH ICE CUBES! Restaurants here normally don't give you ice cubes with water, so having it that night was glorious, and it was a humid night so it made it that much better! The little things we take for granted is astonishing...)
While at the NAC, they took us to the roof, where they have one of the best views of St. Peters. After, they took us to get Gelato at one of the best places in Rome! what a blessed evening! Here is a pic!
We got back on Friday at almost midnight. I decided I was going to join my friends on a trip to MonteCassino, which is 2 hrs South of Rome by train. I asked what time we were leaving and they said 6am on the dot. I looked at my clock and it was already 12:45am. By the time I got to sleep, it was 1:15am. But, I woke up fine at 5:30am and got myself out the door at 6am and to the Metro (around the corner) we went. The train ride was beautiful! The sun was starting to rise, and we looked out the window and the sun had come up as we were passing some ruins. It was one of those moments where you are speechless and thankful to God for such a beautiful moment. Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo of it because we were going to fast.
We got to Cassino and were in for a great adventure! We felt like we were dropped off in the middle of a deserted place. It was a small town. We waited for the bus to take us up the mountain. There were NO bus signs anywhere. We didn't know what to do, so we just waited and as time got closer we were looking at every bus hoping we wouldn't miss it because it only comes twice in the day. Long story short, we got on the bus, and the driver was flying up the mountain! At first, there wasn't any seats for us to sit down so I was holding on to the bars for dear life because this guy was breaking so horribly, and then would gun it. I was falling into my friends and things were dropping on the floor... it was literally a struggle bus! I don't know how that guy has his license! Yikes! Thankfully we made it up the mountain alive and in one piece! Phew! This is where we went: MonteCassino Abbey: St. Benedict founded it) 
We were not "on" cloud 9, we were "in" Cloud 9....
                                                   The Basilica... such a peaceful place!

             mountain side view! Breathtaking! 


We walked around the groups for a good 2 hours, and looked from the balconies with awe and amazement in our eyes. We couldn't believe what was before us. Just greenery, clouds and beauty! It brought tears to our eyes! Below, there are pictures of my friends who I went with! They are amazing travel buddies! We left around 2:30pm and got back to Rome around 4:30pm. We were wiped out, so we canceled our plans and decided to take it easy for the night instead of go out to the Pub. What a adventurous day!




3 amici waiting for the bus to take us down the mountain! We were the last ones left.... We thought for a minute that we had to hitchhike ;)
**No, Mom, we didn't... we thought about it... but we knew you would kill us... especially being all girls!**





On Sunday, we went to a Mass at St. Agnes of Agone, where a Cardinal presided, and the Mass was in 3 different languages. If you think going to a Mass in a language you don't know if difficult, try going to one where they are 3 being spoken all throughout Mass..Now that is a challenge. I accepted it and was still able to say the responses in English! I was so proud of myself! What a brain-testing day! It was time for a nap...But not yet! We went to our favorite Irish Pub for lunch where we had a craving for some American food because we were feeling a bit homesick. Now, that was delicious! Then we got Gelato... obviously! So delicious! Now, time for a nap!! What a great weekend! :)
How can it be Monday already!?? (almost Tuesday as it is already 11:30pm) I woke up at 8:45am this morning... I had class at 9am...and I made it fine. :)
Time for some needed rest! Let the amazing adventure continue....Only God knows what is in store for me tomorrow... And I say, "LET'S LIVE IT UP!" :)

Peace and Blessings!

Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment