Sunday, September 7, 2014

Solo-Adventures

Ciao! 
Yesterday was a solo-adventure day. I wanted to go explore, so I decided that I would go to the Spanish Steps and the Franciscan Capuchin Crypt, which are within walking distance of each other. I used my map only once, and that was figuring out where the Capuchin Crypt was because there are no signs telling you where to go- other than that, I used my eyes and looked at the sides of buildings and signs that pointed straight, left, and right. It's truly amazing what not using a GPS does to your travel experience.  I came across Churches that I went into for a minute, and was able to really enjoy the life around me, instead of having my face glued to the phone. So, the Piazza I walked to first from my school was Piazza del Popolo (People's Square). I went into an Augustinian church called the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo. In there, I saw a exquisite painting of Pope Saint JP2, which I fell in love with! (both Piazza Popolo and painting below) 
From there, I made my way to the Spanish Steps. There were tons of people, but I made my way through them and up the many stairs. Once to the top, they were selling of variety of paintings which were fun to look at. I went into a French church at the top which was beautiful and very simple. When I got to the bottom, a man tried giving me a rose, which I declined, because if I accepted,  chances are that when I took it, he would scam me and tell me to pay up. I happened to get a photo of it. (Thanks to those of you who warned me about those guys... they are so weird) 
Now the more difficult part, (the part I had to pull up my Maps). I went down one street, and up another, then crossed over another, and then there it was! I was so proud of myself for finding it with limited use of GoogleMaps!! I had to pay 6 Euros to enter the Crypt, which was totally worth it! Unfortunately I could not take pictures while touring through the Crypt. I learned about how the Franciscan Capuchin Order came to be, stories of some of the Capuchins, and saw many of their relics. After the "reading" part of the tour, I entered the Crypt. Now, this Crypt is one of very different nature. It is one of all skeletons of the Capuchins from many years ago. Some think this is very weird and very disturbing, but the symbolism and behind the placing of them are very interesting. I thought it was beautiful actually, despite the many bones and skulls everywhere. If you want to see what it looks like, search it: Capuchin Crypt in Rome. Now, the reason why I went to the Crypt was specifically for a special intention. One of my religious friends who is a Franciscan Capuchin Brother, was being ordained a Deacon at the time I was in the Crypt. Although it is a place of burial and death, the intention was to pray for him and the future of his ministry to the Church. It may seem odd that I would go to a place such as this, but the good intention to pray for a friend is what really matters in the end. 

I made my way home, and took a nap, as I was exhausted from all the walking in the direct sunlight! After this glorious nap of mine, I went to dinner with 10 of my friends, where we celebrated a friends birthday. Then we went out to an Irish Pub near Piazza Navona, which was a very fun time! We got back at 1:30am, and walked across the bridge that had a perfect view of St. Peter's. It is so beautiful at night! I woke up this morning at 11:30am! (and yes, I feel fine... no hangover! This is one of the only times that I will drink... for special occasions such as this). HAPPY SUNDAY!


Peace and Blessings! 
    





No comments:

Post a Comment