Monday, September 1, 2014

The firsts of many things!

Ciao!
Day 4. Today was the first day of classes here in Rome. I have 2 classes on Monday, and I love both a lot!!! We will be meeting at many historical places in Rome for classes, which is always fun- I don't have to sit in a classroom all the time! 
After my last class, which ended at 12:45pm, I knew I wanted to go venture out into the city I barely know at the moment( but I will get there, with time!)  There was one place I thought I could get to easily, which was St. Peter's Square. I have been wanting to go there for so long! Now was the first chance. A friend and I went together and walked about 7 blocks to Vatican City. Took about 10-15 minutes. Yes- we live that close!!! So amazing! 
When I turned the corner, I saw Saint Peter's Basilica in front of us. As we got closer, my heart started beating faster, and I got teary eyed at the fact that I was about to witness one of the most amazing places a Catholic can visit on Earth, that I had been hearing all about and patiently waiting for. As I walked into the Piazza, a beautiful, indescribable peace came over me and I was filled with joy! I know that Jesus is always with us everywhere we go, but this place I knew within an instant that He was right beside me like never before- His presence was overwhelmingly beautiful! It really is something you have to witness for yourself because it is just that powerful! 
Here is me at St. Peter's Square
And my friend and I...

After slowly walking around the Piazza, we decided to "try" and find the Sistine Chapel... So we walked and walked some more... And then we were walking along the Vatican City Walls. I told my friend I didn't want to use the Map- I just wanted to see where life took us (this is a big self-confidence builder). After walking up the hill a while we realized we wernt getting anywhere good so we turned back and went back to St. Peter's Square. Where is the Sistine Chapel? We knew it was somewhere super close to the Basilica, but where!?! We saw the Vatican museums building, and we saw we needed to get tickets. So we said we would save it for another day. Then we called it a day and said we would find the "hidden" Sistine Chapel another time. We came back to the school and found out that the Sistine Chapel is located in the Vatican  Museums!!! So we were in the right place, just uninformed of how to get inside! So we will be going back hopefully later this week.
On our walk back to school, it started to thunder-rain. We didn't have umbrellas...We were testing our luck. Thankfully it didn't rain too hard on us- but we have learned our lesson! Then we got Gelato- which was amazing and ended that adventure! 20 mintutes later my roomate asked me if I wanted to go see a Church with her, just a few blocks away.  So we went and ended up walking into about 5 churches- which were all beautiful in their own way. On the way back we saw part of the sunset over the Tiber River




Now, it's time to rest! It was a long day- but so much fun and worth every second! 2 more classes tomorrow- including Italiano and Art and Architecture.  

Peace and Blessings! 

Anne
 

No comments:

Post a Comment