Sunday, September 28, 2014

Spontaneity never hurts!

Ciao Friends!!

I want to apologize for not posting in a few days, like I said I would... One thing came up after another, and by the time I was finished and back home, I was too tired to write about it all! Which is a good thing! It means I am enjoying my time and taking every opportunity to enjoy Roma! So I will break up my weekend in 2 posts. The first will be of Friday and Saturday, and the second will be of today, Sunday. Consider yourself as warned- might be a lot to read, but as always, I promise it is worth it! :)

To begin, what I was going to confirm for you was that I was going to have the opportunity to attend a Papal Mass with Andrea Bocelli singing at it. Well, this was confirmed on Friday morning, and I picked up my ticket from the Swiss Guards- which was an intimidating experience, but awesome at the same time. As I was walking up the stairs towards the Swiss Guard, he yelled something and I halted! I thought he was talking to me- I thought I had broken some sort of rule (don't know what that would be..trying to break into the Vatican?? haha...) So I slowly inched forward, and realized what he yelled was to his friend, telling him that I was there. I spoke some Italian and asked for a ticket, and there it was- I got a ticket! Here it is below! I will be framing it when I get home!


Since I had to wait in the long line, I thought I might as well go into the Basilica... So I did, and just took some time to reflect. One thing I reflected on was the Pieta. Michelangelo's work. Fun fact (not so fun for the Pieta): a few years ago, a man took a hammer to the Pieta, out of anger to the faith and it was in severe condition. Pieces went flying and tourists picked them up and never returned them, unfortunately. So they had to do major work on the Pieta- i believe they had to completely take off Mary's arm and reconstruct it. So now they obviously have glass protecting it and a guard.... People these days... so sad that they go to such a crazy extreme. 
Another fun fact (this one is actually really awesome for everyone involved unlike poor Pieta): The second picture is of Pope Paul VI grave, and he is being beatified here in Rome on Oct. 19th! I will be in Assisi and Venice that weekend, but this is pretty awesome! :)  


After this, I saw a line for going up to the Cupola (dome) of St. Peter's. It was 5 Euros to take the 551 stairs up to the top- so I took that challenge! I loved it... but it did make me pretty dizzy! Round and round we went! Part of the stair case was slanted (2nd picture)... so we were leaning against the wall trying to get up this hallway! The first picture is looking down on the people from the inside of the Cupola! So cool... if only I knew at that time what I was in for next...!


Got to the top...and outside... this is what I saw.... OH MY GOSH. I'M SPEECHLESS. 




 
The statues picture: the ones top of St. Peter's are about 20 feet tall.. give or take a few feet! They seem small until you get up right next to them! Wow.

So there is my spontaneous adventure of Friday!

Saturday, I went to Mass with the NAC Seminarians who are working with us students at the Basilica of St. Augustine at 7:45am, which was very nice, and then saw some of Michelangelo's Caravaggio's. They are exquisite. Then we got Cornetti after (croissants)- I got mine with chocolate in it- I should have known it would be Nutella- To Europeans, Nutella is their chocolate... Soooo good!!! :)

If I thought 7am was early to wake up, try 4am! To be continued...Up next: Papal Mass!

Peace and Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment